Philipp Schonger 🇦🇹 🇺🇸Kitesurf / Ambassador
Name: Philipp Schonger
Birth date: April 1978
Other Sponsors: Naish Kiteboarding, Patagonia Pro
Years Riding: 15+
Discipline: BIG AIR Kiteboarding
Home spots: Lake Washington, Kirkland, Washington (near Seattle)
Favourite spots? Jetty Island, Everett, Washington (Home of the Jetty Island Light Wind Olympics), The Columbia River Gorge (Hood River, Rufus, Lyle, Rooster Rock, and other spots), CapeTown, South Africa, Penghu, Taiwan
Favourite quotes: “Feel the fear and do it anyways”.
Results: Big Air Kiteboarder in North America – Woo Sports Leaderboard – 94.8ft / 28.9m
- 2017 Kite Clash, Squamish, B.C.: 1st Place Big Air
- 2017 La Ventana Classic: 2nd Place Slalom Racing, 2nd Place Freestyle Sportsmen
- 2017 Kiteboarding 4 Cancer: 3rd Place Team Naish Kiteboarding Relay Race
- 2017 Nuketober, WA & OR: 1st Place Big Air
- 2018 Jetty Island Light Wind Olympics: 1st Place Big Air TwinTip; 2nd Place Big Air Hydrofoil
- 2018 Windfest Nitinat Lake, Vancouver Island, B.C.: 1st Place Big Air, 1st Place Tour de Nitinat TwinTip Race, 2nd Place TwinTip Slalom Racing, 3rd Place Overall Tour Master
- 2018 Bridge of the Gods KiteFest: 2nd Place Freestyle Masters Division
- 2018 King of Asia: Continent King- Woo Sports
- 2019 Jetty Island Light Wind Olympics: 1st Place Big Air Hydrofoil, 2nd Place Foil Race, 3rd Place Jetty Men’s Freestyle
- 2019 KiteClash 7: 3rd Place Freestyle Masters
- 2019 HuckFest: 2nd Place Big Air Hydrofoil, 3rd Place Big Air TwinTip
What inspires you the most? Travelling, i.e. seeing new places, meeting new people, tasting new foods, experiencing new cultures. The more I travel, the more I realize how little I have seen. And the more I have seen and experienced, the more I want to continue seeing and continue experiencing.
5 things you can’t live without? My freedom, Sunshine, Travel, Podcast Player, My Dog Alfie
What was your childhood ambition? I always wanted to fly like a bird. I never imagined that kiteboarding would be the sport that would allow me to do that.
Personal summary: Even though I grew up in the Alps I was always drawn to the water and eventually found my unrelenting passion for kiteboarding in the Pacific Northwest of the United States. I love the freedom, being one with nature, and being surrounded by a very passionate community. I love spreading the stoke, competing, and going as big as possible. Currently I hold the North America Big Air all-time record with 94.8ft / 28.9m.
Connect with Philipp on social media via the links below.